Sunday 18 November 2012

Article Draft

Our brand new star Scarlett peeks her head round the doorway with the biggest of smiles. Without encouragement she makes her way across the room toward me and the seat awaiting her. “It’s brilliant here!” she grins at me whilst she’s handed a cup of tea. The first thing she does as soon as she’s seated is take her six inch high heels off. Although now a star, little Scarlett Moss still appears lost in the world of fame; she looks around the room expectantly, while I wonder what exactly it is going through her mind. Until she announces, “ugh I’ve had the worst morning, missed my train, what a nightmare, feet are killing me, I hope you don’t mind.” Of course I don’t mind. 
Dressed head to toe in designer, the once ordinary girl looks like a runway model on the road. Her appearance isn’t worn, though – unlike most stars I chat with, she doesn’t look like she’s been up all night partying. When I question her on this she simply says “I love to party, just not, you know, all the time. But trust me I know how to party, you can’t live without knowing how to party”. Her words seem carefully chosen and she speaks in a calm and collected manner, with this almost giggly playful tinge to it. She’s the kind of person you want to wrap up in cotton wool and cuddle (of course, I don’t tell her this).
Personally I love Scarlett’s fresh new music, but I always wonder if the big shots can enjoy listening to their own music without cringing? She tells me, “It’s obviously not the same as listening to someone else’s music – that feels normal. Listening to your own music is like being a judge on x-factor, for yourself! It just makes you criticise every little detail of it, makes me think, damn! Wish I could record that one little bit again. Things that no one else will notice, you know?”. 
By this point she’s watching me suspiciously as I take notes, so I'm sure to take note of the fact that Scarlett perhaps isn’t used to all the publicity of a famous lifestyle yet. When I bring this into conversation she says “It’s not that I don’t know why there’s so much of it, because before becoming famous, just like anyone else I read the articles, good and bad, about all my favourite celebs. But I just sometimes forget who I am now, where I am or why I’m there. Like today, I know quite well why I’m here, for you to write about me, right? I just sometimes forget, and it just doesn’t feel like you’re writing about me, it feels like there should be someone else in the room. I don’t know, maybe, someone more exciting!” Scarlett doesn’t realise what a little gem she is. 
She looks uncomfortable in her seat directly in front of me and I see her eyes drift towards the bright pink sofa. “Would you rather...” - I don’t even have to finish my sentence before she leaps up and onto the sofa, sprawled out and relaxed, almost as if she is at home. I ask her how the jump from normality to fame has changed her private life, she doesn’t hesitate to reply: “I think some celebrities are far too up on their high horse when it comes to their private lives. I don’t care what people think of me so the public can find out whatever they want, I mean, as long as it’s true. To be perfectly honest I don’t see my family as much but they accept that I’m just busy, and it makes seeing them that little bit more exciting. I’ve made a lot of new friends since I started making music; it’s just so easy to connect with others who do the same things as you. But I’ll never forget who my friends have been the whole time, back when I was just a drunken karaoke singer down the pub!” She giggles in the most endearing way, I struggle to not coo at her. “I’m not currently dating anyone though, so right now it isn’t so difficult for me really. Some would say I have it easy for a celeb, but I guess it’s only the beginning.” 
I find it interesting that Scarlett mentions the fact that she’s made a lot of new friends; most new celebrities find it’s more of a dog-eat-dog world in the music industry, especially when you’re the newbie, but Scarlett reassures me: “It only gets bitter and unkind if you get in with those kinds of people. Trust me, there are plenty of famous people I’ve met now who tell me they love my music and I know they’re being honest. That is simply the best feeling, when someone above you tells you that you’ve done a good job, you really feel like you’re getting a pat on the back. Feels almost like being back at school, when your favourite teacher says ‘yeah, this is a really good piece of work’ when you’ve tried so hard on something. I put my all into my album, as it is my first, and I must say I’ve had a lot out of it. The clothes and photo shoots and being in hair & make up all still mind blows me. When I walk into a shop full of clothes to die for and realise I’m not just window shopping anymore, I can actually afford these luxuries! Being able to treat my friends and family feels amazing too, giving something back to your number one fans from day one. But it’s not about the fame for me, or the glamour. It might sound like a cliché, but it really is just about doing what I love the most – making music.”

No comments:

Post a Comment