Friday 8 February 2013

Who would be the audience for your media product?


The target audience for my music magazine will be teenagers to young adults of either gender, at the age of 15-25, under the social class BC1. I have chosen this age group as they are most likely to consume my magazine and enjoy it, to have an interest or knowledge of the urban artists I will feature. My magazine will stay up to date with recent releases of albums and festivals as well as current artists of a general pop genre, which I feel is most appealing to a younger generation.  The social class I have chosen is mainly due to the price, as I feel that this range of people will be willing to pay the money for my magazine at roughly three pounds and will not feel that it’s too much.  Also, certain events, for example gigs and festivals featured are at a high price that middle class teenagers are likely to be willing to purchase. Due to the genre of pop, my magazine will be aimed at females or males who enjoy music of this genre, or share an interest in it.
According to the uses and gratifications theory, there are four reasons that the public consume the media, and I believe these each apply to my media product. These are entertainment, information, personal relationships and identity. My target audience will read my magazine for entertainment as it will include news on the latest music and interviews with the most popular, current artists, which prove to be very interesting to a music enthusiast. The reader may feel they can identify themselves with particular artists for example by reading a very down to earth interview that reveals true personality about a singer or band – which my music magazine will include. Also the audience may feel important in finding out information before others on the music industry and then are able to share this information with those around them, forming personal relationships – if two people share a similar music taste, they can bond over the information a magazine gives.
Due to the proliferation of magazines, readers now have the option to buy a printed magazine to read, or to read the contents of the magazine on an online website, app for smart phones, or even to follow the magazine on Twitter and ‘like’ them on Facebook to hear about updates from the magazine. The benefits of reading from a website is that there are no limits – a website can store as much information as you want it to, where as there is only a limited amount of printing you can do of paper magazines. This way if readers have missed an issue of my magazine it does not mean that it is unavailable to them straight away – they could be months late and still find the issue posted online for their viewing. Also a website allows the magazine to carry out polls to hear feedback from the readers, e.g. Which artist would you most like to see in the next issue? Etc. The idea of a smart phone app for my magazine is so that readers don’t have to be at home on a PC or near a shop to read/purchase the magazine. It allows readers to see quick pieces of small interesting information as not to bore them, and they can do this on the go, wherever they may be.
The typical reader of my magazine would be a busy teenager to young adult who doesn’t have the time to read a whole magazine all at once. I feel that one of the advantages of my magazine is that information is less extensive than other music magazines in the market, it will be more split up into smaller sections on many levels – online, in print, via smart phone app etc. This will fit my target audience perfectly as it’s difficult for someone of this age to find the time to sit down and read a whole magazine. From my audience research I found that, from my sample of my target audience, the majority of people rarely read magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment