Friday 15 February 2013

How did you attract/address your audience?


I closely looked at music magazines similar to my own product such as Q magazine, and decided that my target audience would be intrigued to read about fun and interesting musicians. I found that my target audience like artists such as Jessie J, Olly Murs etc and in fact idolize these people, as pop fans do. Music artists like this give off a positive outlook on life and influence their fans to have the same. In photo shoots, interviews etc music artists such as these are chatty and enthusiastic and aren’t often slated in magazines/newspapers.
                I wanted to make my magazine appeal to the same audience as these magazines; because of this is chose to use a cover model that is young and attractive. Her long blonde hair is idealistic to many women and her make-up stands out due to the use of bright red lipstick, matching other elements of her outfit such as her shoes and belt, to hold the reader’s attention to her. The use of this model will instantly appeal to my target audience as the clothing she wears isn’t too over the top, and so readers may see her outfit and consider it affordable and realistic for them to buy themselves. The bright parts to her outfit help to highlight elements of her personality which readers will enjoy, so they know the article about her will be fun and positive.
                I have tried to make my magazine appeal to an audience who listen to pop music. I did this by using colours such as teal and purple as a general house style as I found that these colours compliment each other well and are different to typical music magazines that already exist. Although most successful music magazines use colours such as red and black, I wanted to breach out of this norm to make my product stand out amongst the rest and make it more appealing, as readers may be used to seeing red and black and may therefore be bored of it. Also, my target audience of pop music listeners enjoy bright attractive colours rather than a dark and mysterious theme, so I think it fits my aims well.
                The article headline “Stand Up for Scarlett Moss” connotes a festival or gig, which relates to my target audience as they are typically fun-loving festival-goers. This kind of headline will catch the eye of readers and, accompanied by powerful images, will influence them to read it. This type of language will stand out to them as they will have a sudden interest in who I am talking about. The general tone of my article is rather casual and chatty and I think this will help my target audience to feel more involved with the celebrity as though they have a connection to them. The information they read will feel personal to them, as the article feels like a friendly conversation, so this will build a personal identification with the singer. The audience will then feel that the information is exclusive, as if they are the only ones to know. I have found that pop fans enjoy relating to their idols and finding out things that they have in common, and my article will help them to do so.
The magazine has a female appeal, due to the typically girly colour scheme including purple, and the asthetically pleasing images and layouts. The images include an attractive girl wearing the latest fashions, which may attract females attention. On the other hand, my magazine may also appeal to males due to the use of a bold, firm font that is fluently used throughout the magazine, giving it a masculine feel. Also, the model I’ve used may appear attractive to males, so this may grab their attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment